Tuesday 6 September 2011

Office not working in Archlinux



After dropping of OpenOffice.org, Archlinux switched to LibreOffice from the Document foundation. As this was pushed through a regular update, I went on with it. However, after some time when I tried opening Office files, I was having trouble opening them at all.
I used to get stuck at this filter selection every time I opened a file. When I opened up LibreOffice, the various files options were grayed out.



I thought of checking the wiki for the procedure of installation. I reinstalled it using the following command:

pacman -S libreoffice-common libreoffice-{base,
calc,draw,impress,math,writer,kde4}


pacman -S libreoffice-extension-{pdfimport,presentation-minimizer,presenter-screen,report-builder,wiki-publisher,ct2n,hunart,numbertext,oooblogger,typo,watch-window,diagram}


After that, I was able to get things working again. However, interestingly, each time I had upgraded my system after the switch to LibreOffice, using

pacman -Syu

I had seen these packages were installed. Now there is only one issue, tooltips are just black rectangles.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It always worked, libreoffice has been split into split packages. So thats why you only had libreoffice-common.
So the rest has to be reinstalled seperate.

As for the black bar, this is a bug upstream aka the libreoffice devs we cant fix it as archlinux.

Phoenix said...

@Anonymous: I think when I said these packages were installed, I meant the split packages that I reinstalled.

Anonymous said...

I think its counter-intuitive that Libreoffice is installed that way...or I just missed the prompt to install other libreoffice packages :)
Anyways, I'm using Archlinux and the tooltips are fine.